What to Do in Case of a Motor Vehicle Accident?
In cities like Mumbai, accidents on the roads are increasingly becoming more frequent. There is a disturbing trend of drivers breaking traffic rules and putting the lives of pedestrians, other drivers, and even those of their own passengers at risk.
It is therefore important for us to know what to do if we are ever involved in an automobile accident, or if we are the first responders to one.
The following are a few guidelines you should follow in the case of a motor vehicle accident:
- If there is no casualty and only the motor vehicles are damaged in the accident, the drivers of both the vehicles should take their respective vehicles to the side of the road to ensure that the traffic is not obstructed. Drivers of both the vehicles should note down the names, address, details of licenses and the number of each other’s vehicles and duly register a complaint at the local police station.
- The insurance company should be informed immediately so that compensation could be claimed for the vehicles damaged.
- If you have met with an accident and have injured a person, you are duty bound to take the person to the hospital and inform the police. If it is not possible to take the injured to hospital, go to the nearest police station and inform them. Any non-compliance of this rule shall make you liable for enhanced punishment.
- If you come across a person, injured in an accident, try to help him. Provide first aid to the injured and take steps to remove the injured to the nearest hospital. The registration number and the name of the driver and other details of the vehicle, that has caused the accident should be noted down and should be reported to the nearest police station immediately.
- Do not believe in the misnomer that helping an accident victim will lead to harassment by the police. At best, the police officer may ask for your statement.
- Please do help an accident victim, God forbid, you may be one tomorrow.
Source: This information was obtained from the website of the Mumbai Police – https://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov.in/
Tags: Personal Safety