How to Change Your Details on the Electoral Roll By Filling Form 8?
If you are registered as a voter, but need to make a correction to your details such as name, date of birth, etc., you can do so by filling Form 8. Please note however, that this does not cover a change of address.
If you have changed your residence within the same Assembly Constituency, please read our article on Form 8A here.
If you have changed your residence to another Assembly Constituency, please read our article on Form 6 here.
Who can file Form-8?
1. Can be filed only by a person whose name is already included in the electoral roll seeking correction to his/her particulars already printed in the electoral roll. One person cannot file application in Form 8 for correction in the particulars of any other person.
When Form-8 can be filed?
1. Form-8 can be filed for correction to particulars of a person entered in the electoral roll. The application can be filed after draft publication of electoral roll of the constituency. The application is to be filed within the specific days provided for the purpose. Due publicity is given about the above period when the revision programme is announced.
2. Only one copy of the application is to be filed.
3. The Application can also be filed for correction of particulars relating to oneself in the finally published electoral roll when the revision programme is not going on. During non-revision period, application must be filed in duplicate.
Where to file Form-8?
1. During revision period, the application can be filed at the designated locations where the draft electoral roll is displayed (mostly polling station locations) as well as the Electoral Registration Officer and Assistant Electoral Registration Officer of the constituency.
2. During other period of the year when revision programme is not going on, the application can be filed only with the Electoral Registration Officer.
How to Fill up Form-8?
1. The application should be addressed to the Electoral Registration Officer of the constituency in which the name of the applicant is already included. The name of the constituency should be mentioned in the blank space.
2. In Part I of the Application, please write your name, as it should appear in the electoral roll. In case the initials to your name printed in the electoral roll are in abbreviated form and you want them to be printed in expanded form you can write your full name in expanded form.
The full name except the surname should be written in the first box and surname should be written in the second box. In case you do not have a surname, just write the given name. Caste should not be mentioned except where the caste name is used as part of the elector’s name or a surname. Honorific appellations like Shri, Smt. Kumari, Khan, Begum, Pandit etc. should not be mentioned.
3. Please fill up the Part Number and serial number in that part of electoral roll where your name is listed. This is mandatory.
Similarly, you should indicate your Age in years and months as on 1st January of the year with reference to which the electoral roll is printed. This qualifying date is printed at the bottom of each page of electoral roll.
Write your sex in full in the space provided e.g. Male / Female. Eunuchs have to choose from one of these options.
6. Date of Birth (With Documentary Proof)
Fill up the date of birth in figures in the space provided in dd/mm/yyyy.
Proof of date of birth to be attached are as under:
(i) Birth certificate issued by a Municipal Authorities or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths or Baptism certificate; or
(ii) Birth certificate from the school (Govt. / Recognised) last attended by the applicant or any other recognised educational institution; or
(iii) Illiterate or semi-illiterate applicant who is not in possession of any of the above document are required to attach a declaration in prescribed format by either of the parents already included in the electoral roll in support of the applicants age. The format will be supplied on demand. N.B. In the case of applicants born on or after 26.01.1989, only birth certificate issued by the Municipal Authorities or district office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths is acceptable.
7. Relation’s Name:
In case of unmarried female applicant, name of Father / Mother is to be mentioned. In case of married female applicant, name of Husband is to be mentioned. Strike out the inapplicable options in the column.
8. Place of Ordinary Residence
In Part II of the Application Form please fill up the full and complete postal address including PIN code where you are ordinarily residing and want to get registered, in the space provided.
Proof of ordinary residence to be attached are as under:
(i) Bank / Kisan / Post Office current Pass Book, or
(ii) Applicants Ration Card / Passport / Driving License / Income Tax Assessment Order, or
(iii) Latest Water / Telephone / Electricity / Gas Connection Bill for that address, either in the name of the applicant or that of his / her immediate relation like parents etc., or
(iv) Postal department’s posts received / delivered in the applicant’s name at the given address.
NOTE: If any applicant submits only ration card as proof of address, it should be accompanied by one more proof of address out of the above categories.
9. Details of Electors’ Photo Identity Card.
If you already have been issued with a Photo Identity Card by the Election Commission, please mention the card number (printed on the front side) and date of issue (printed on the back side) of the card in the space provided in Part III of the Application Form. Please attach a self-attested photocopy of both sides of the card.
10. Details of entries to be corrected.
In Part IV of the Application you should indicate the details of entries to be corrected. Therefore, this is a very important part of the Application. You have indicated the correct details about your name, age, date of birth, relations name, sex, address and photo identity card in the space provided in Parts I to III of the Application.
In this Part you have to clearly put a tick mark on the details that need to be corrected on the basis of information now furnished by you. Please score out the alternatives that are not to be corrected. In most part of the country now the electoral roll is printed with the photograph of electors.
In case the application is for correcting a wrong photograph, then the applicant may write “My Photograph” in Part IV of the application and if possible, attach a recent passport size coloured photograph with the application.
Please also give your full name and address on the acknowledgement and intimation portions. Please give your mobile number and E-mail I.D in the Form , which is optional , as the same, if given, may be used by the Electoral Registration Officer for further communication with the applicant whenever required.
To download Form 8 click here.
Updated Source: https://ceo.maharashtra.gov.in
Tags: Be a Smart Voter