What to Do in Case of a Fire


When a Fire occurs, our reactions in the initial moments can mean the difference between a minor fire confined to a single room, and a major fire that could destroy an entire building. It is important to know what to do when you notice a fire, as well as basic fire fighting techniques. It is especially important to make sure that children are taught what to do in case a fire occurs, and that they do not panic.


Follow the following steps in case of a fire:

  • Do not panic; keep calm.
  • Actuate the manual fire alarm system provided on the floor to raise alarm.
  • Think and act quickly.
  • Report the fire to Security.
  • Summon the Fire Brigade by calling 101.
  • Alert the people in the vicinity of fire.
  • Do not take shelter in the toilet.
  • Fight the fire only if you can. Do not take undue risks.
  • Crawl, in case you encounter smoke.
  • If you know the details of fire/fire extinguishing system provided, inform the Fire Brigade personnel on their arrival.


Follow the following steps to prevent a fire:

  • Do not overload electrical circuits; it may cause a short circuit and a fire.
  • Use one plug per socket for electrical appliances.
  • Do not leave electrical appliances unattended.
  • Switch off electric appliances after use and remove the socket. It is fire safe practice.
  • Switch off the “Main switch” before leaving your house for a long duration.
  • Do not keep electric wiring hanging, batten it properly.
  • Do not use candles the in case of power failure. User battery operated torches.
  • Smoke only in the Smoking Zone, use non- combustible ashtrays for depositing lighted smoking material.
  • Use an ashtray while Smoking.
  • Keep matches, crackers, and lighters away from the children.
  • Keep L.P.G. Stoves/Segrees/Burners etc. on raised a non-combustible platform.
  • Turn off both the L.P.G. gas cylinder valve and burner knob of the gas segree/cooking range etc. when not in use after cooking.
  • Ventilate the entire room if L.P.G. cylinder is leaking and do not switch on/off any of the electric switches in the room. Replace the L.P.G. supply tube periodically or as and when advised by the Mechanic.
  • If the L.P.G. cylinder is leaking-
    • Close the main cylinder valve.
    • Ventilate the entire room.
    • Do not operate electric switches.
  • Do not allow children to play with fire crackers.
  • Do not light fireworks very close to the building.
  • Close the windows and openings properly to prevent ingress of lighted flying crackers.
  • Do not leave lighted oil lamps, agarbattis or candles on the floor or near combustible material. Put them off before retiring to bed.
  • Do not store scrap/combustible material in and around the building; dispose of them regularly.


Fire is both useful and destructive and it is imperative that you learn what must be done to prevent and contain fires.


This information has been obtained from the website of the Maharashtra Fire Services – www.mahafireservice.gov.in