Overseas Jobs – Things to Keep in Mind
There is a chain of unauthorized agents and sub-agents who claim to recruit for vacancies especially in the Gulf countries. These agents collect huge amounts from needy job seekers via attractive and misleading advertisements in newspapers, and often leave them stranded in a foreign country with no money, no passport and no way to return home. In light of this, the Mumbai Police have issued certain guidelines and advice for the public.
PRECAUTIONS WHILE APPLYING FOR NEW PASSPORTS AND SEEKING JOBS OUTSIDE INDIA:
- While applying for a new passport, fill up the application form and pay the money at the counter of the Passport office personally. Avoid using the services of self proclaimed agents loitering outside.
- There are no authorized agents appointed by the Passport Authority.
- Passports cannot be SOLD. Touts may try it on you, but remember that travelling on a bogus Passport is illegal.
- Insist on seeing the original registration certificate of the agent and check its validity before handing over your passport.
- Get your passport, valid visa, travel tickets and ensure completion of all immigration formalities before handing over the full payment.
- Payment should be made only to authorized agents and a receipt thereof must always be obtained.
- The job seeker should know that the agent is bound to provide employment to the candidate within 60 days from making the final payment.
- Prior agreement should be made regarding the type of job and terms of agreement should be gone through carefully.
- In the event of any foul play, the job seeker should immediately contact the local police station or Economic Offences Wing, Crime Branch, C.I.D., Opp. Mahatma Phule Market, Mumbai- 400 001.
- The list of authorized agents is available with all the police stations and the Economic Offences Wing, Crime Branch, C.I.D., Mumbai.
Source: This information has been obtained from the website of the Mumbai Police https://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov.in
Tags: Personal Safety