Do’s and Don’ts Regarding Purchase of Property
Perhaps the most important purchase that you can make in the city of Mumbai is a home, and as such it needs to be done wisely. Aside from the ever rising costs of real estate, what makes matters more difficult for the common man are the increasing number of cases involving unscrupulous builders, deceitful agents, and a lack of knowledge on the part of the consumer.
Instructions to members of the public about Cooperative Housing Societies (CHSs) and how to prevent cheating at the time of purchasing flats are as under:
1. VERIFICATION OF OWNERSHIP OF LAND
Ensure from the City Survey office that the developer has been granted the N.O.C and the land is Non-Agricultural (N.A.)
|Types of Land||Where to Verify From|
|BMC Land||The concerned Ward office|
|Govt. Land||Verification from the Collector’s office|
|MHADA Land||Verification from MHADA, Bandra (E)|
|B.P.T. Land||Estate Manager, Mumbai Port Trust, Ballard Pier|
|Salt Land||Commissioner of Salt, Ballard Pier|
|Trust land||President of the concerned Trust, and Charity Commissioner, Worli|
For clear title, 7/12 (Sat Bara) Extract to be verified from the “Talathi” OR “Tahasildar” office.
For Land in Dispute or in legal litigation – approach “Bailiff” or “Arbitrator” from High Court.
2. N.O.C.s OF VARIOUS AUTHORITIES
|Fire Brigade||Especially for high rise buildings|
|Traffic Dept.||Mumbai Police|
|BEST/BSES||For electricity supply|
|IAAI||Building in airport vicinity|
|Railway||Near the railway track|
|BMC||For drainage, water supply, commencement certificate|
3. TO CHECK THE LEGALITY OF THE CONSTRUCTION
Checking of Commencement Certificate or Intimation of Disapproval by the Municipal authorities.
Contact the Builder / Developer for:-
• Plans submitted by the architect
• Notice in Newspaper for clearance of title of the land
• Certificate from solicitor
• Confirm whether Residential or Commercial
• F.S.I. permitted, and utilized by the builder
• Percentage of reservation made for Government flats or any special category
• Whether covered under Urban Land Ceiling Reservation
4. ENTERING INTO AGREEMENT
• The agreement for sale should be properly signed by the concerned parties
• The agreement must be attested by two witnesses
• Only the agreement registered with the Collector will be treated as the “legal document”
• Stamp Duty should be paid only at the Collector’s Office at the time of registration of the agreement
5. MODE OF PAYMENT
• Cheque is the safest way of payment.
• If paid by cash, insist on receipt.
• Repayment of loans obtained from the Financial Institutions should be made only to the concerned Institution and not to the builder or developer.
Source: This information has been obtained from the website of the Mumbai Police https://mumbaipolice.maharashtra.gov.in
Tags: Secure Homes